A boat usually needs more than just a fire extinguisher. That's why we'll look further than just fire extinguishers and give you a global overview of general fire protection on boats.
Going on a boat trip is always something special, whether it's for a short trip or for a longer holiday at sea. The boat almost becomes your home away from home, but with one important difference: in case of fire you have nowhere to flee. It is precisely for this reason that fire prevention on ships is crucial.
- If there are sleeping quarters on the boat, there has to be more than one fire extinguisher: if one fire extinguisher is out of reach because of the fire, another fire extinguisher could be used.
- In the boat has a motor, it's essential that there's a space-filling fire extinguisher present in the engine compartment (to be used through the specially designed fire holes or otherwise). Another fire extinguisher should be placed in or near the cockpit.
- If there are appliances with an open flame (e.g. for cooking), a separate fire extinguisher must be provided and preferably a fire blanket as well.
- Don't forget to install multiple smoke detectors! Escape routes on ships are usually limited and therefore it's crucial that starting fires are detected very quickly.
For ships of 20 metres in length and over, there has recently been a European guideline on fire prevention. You can find it on the EU website.
For smaller vessels we definitely recommend the following products:
- 2 powder extinguishers ABC 2kg: powder extinguishers can extinguish fires of solids (class A), liquids (class B) and gases (class C) without any problems. Electrical equipment, if there is any, but also other flammable liquids, can be extinguished quickly and efficiently. The 2kg volume is enough to use in smaller rooms.
- 1 powder fire extinguisher ABC 6kg: in addition to the two smaller powder fire extinguishers, we recommend the use of a larger 6kg extinguisher in the engine room.
- 3 Alecto smoke detectors: on boats, the possible escape routes are very limited. This is why it's crucial that there are enough smoke detectors present on any possible escape route. The Alecto smoke alarm is a certified smoke alarm that is ideal for use in such conditions.
- 3 Elro mounting kits: this handy mounting kit allows you to attach the Alecto smoke alarms to the ceiling without using screws or a drill bit.
- 1 fire blanket 1m x 1m EN1869 approved: in kitchens, the presence of a fire blanket is not only often mandatory, it's also a handy way to get small kitchen fires under control quickly
- 1 first aid kit: Immediate action is required in case of burns. If there are any minor injuries, this first aid kit can solve the first problems.