Fire extinguishers, fire reels and emergency lighting that you use for professional purposes/in public (shops, companies, restaurants, hotels/B&Bs...) or in communal areas of apartments must be inspected annually by a specialist company. You are not allowed to do this yourself.
Fire extinguishers that you use for private purposes do not need to be inspected, because they are not compulsory, but it is recommended to have them inspected periodically. You can however partially keep an eye on certain fire extinguishers :
Stored-pressure fire extinguisher
- You can regularly check the pressure gauge on the extinguisher.
- We advise to turn the extinguisher upside down from time to time in order so the extinguishing agent doesn't clump at the bottom.
- As long as the needle on the pressure gauge is in the green, your extinguisher will have enough pressure to be able to be completely emptied.
- Also check the vessel of your extinguisher for external damage and possible corrosion.
Cartridge-operated fire extinguisher
- You can't gather much from the outside of a cartridge-operated fire extinguisher. These extinguishers must be always checked by a specialised company.