Correct placement of a smoke detector is of vital importance for a correctly working smoke detector. Where's the best spot to install a smoke detector in a caravan?
- Preferably, mount the smoke detector horizontally on the ceiling of the living area.
- As close as possible to the sleeping area.
- If possible, out of sight of the kitchen.
- DON'T PLACE in the kitchen or bathroom. Steam and condensation can cause false alarms.
- DON'T PLACE near extractor fans or air conditioning that may keep smoke from reaching the sensor.
N.B. In old, poorly insulated caravans, layers of warm or cold air screen off the non-insulated walls from any smoke, which makes it difficult for the smoke to reach the detector. If the caravan in question is poorly insulated, place the smoke detector on an internal wall 15 cm from the ceiling.
WARNING: Test the smoke detector in a caravan that hasn't been used for a long period of time before going on a trip to make sure it works properly. Test it once a week when you're on the road.